On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 13:56:09 -0500
Mark Weaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> hey Harm! at least you got buttons to click on at that point!  :)  No
> buttons showed up on that panel during the intall, which necessitated
> me starting the install all over and choosing "all" in order to get it
> going.

I think it important to note that anytime you test a Mandrake beta you
are in actuality testing 2 different works in progress.

The first is DrakX which is the installation program itself and is
responsible for everything up until your system reboots you to your
newly installed toy.
This includes hardware detection, partitioning, pkg selection, buttons,
navigation, etc. etc, etc.

The second process is, of course, the OS itself.

This early in the beta devel stage varying hardware and varying configs
are going to produce an infestation of bugs.
This is by desire so that by the time the RCs arrive all that will
remain to be corrected are minor irritations.

The more people and varied systems that can run and provide feedback, be
it through the lists or bugzilla, for the betas the more polished and
troublefree the next final will be.
BTW if it holds to the 6 mom timeline this will not be until April.

That being said I also think that it is very important to note that a
beta OS release is not meant to be used as an upgrade for a currently
running stable OS.

If you have an extra system, a spare hd, or even a gig or 2 of unused
space on your current drive then use it for a clean install of the beta.

If this does not apply to you and you are determined to use the Beta as
an upgrade install.
Install it and then use rpmdrake or urpmi to go full cooker and at the
very least lurk on the cooker mailing list.
Do not try to run a miss-matched mix of pkgs, this invalidates any and
all bugs/problems you may/will encounter.

    Charles

The chief cause of problems is solutions.
                -- Eric Sevareid
Mandrake Linux 9.1
Kernel- 2.4.21-1mdk