On Sun Jan 12, 2003 at 12:31:41AM -0500, Bob Puff@NLE wrote:

Ahhh... now I feel like an ass.  Sorry Bob...  my previous message in
this thread was a little heavy (been a long weekend).  My apologies for
some harsh words.  Your message wasn't threaded with the rest in the
thread, so I didn't see it until now.

> > Anyways, does 2.2.7a fix this 2GB file limit problem?  How long has
> > this problem been around (this is the first I've heard of it, but I'm
> > not a samba user).
>
> It most certainly does.  I posted something here, didn't get any replies, so
> I went to the Samba list, where the issue was discussed hot and heavy!  The
> 2.2.7A definitely fixed the 2gb limit problem, although apparently smbmount
> still has the bug, last I heard (this may now be fixed - it's been a while
> now since I've been off the samba list).

I didn't see the post.  Mind you, if I spent my time reading,
thoroughly, every message on the expert and cooker lists, I wouldn't
have time to build updates, so I could have missed it (well, I did miss
it).

So do you know if 2.2.7a is an interim fix or is *the* fix?

> > It's also unfair to be sitting around and yelling  "Hey Mandrake when
> > are you going to fix this bug that no one reported?".  Is there a
> > bugzilla entry for this?  I am assuming that if this was a legitimate
> > problem that needed to be addressed in updates, and the bug had been
> > reported to someone here, that it would have been forwarded to myself.
> > This hasn't happened so I can only assume one of two things:  It was
> > reported, but not acted on, or it wasn't reported.
>
> I reported it here on this list.  If there is another place to do so, please
> let me know.  I had hoped that since there was a 2.2.7a rpm in cooker that
> someone knew about it, and a fix was in the works.

Better place to report would be something trackable...  bugzilla or
MandrakeExpert.  Since this was for a released version of Mandrake, ME
would have been your best bet since, AFAIK, there is no bugzilla for
older distribs.

> > as i understood it, the 2 gig limit wasa fat problem, not a Samba problem,
> > If this is the case, then an upgrade wouldn't fix the problem, right?
>
> If you're running on an old file system that has a 2gb limit, of course there
> will be a problem.  But ext3 works nicely past 2gb.
>
> I ended up finding an (older now) cooker rpm that works with 9.0.  First
> though, I tried building from source.  This failed, while it worked fine on a
> 7.1 mandrake machine.  I didn't dig too far to see why it failed.

Rebuilding a src.rpm, or the samba sources?

> > If someone has some reference on the samba site or mailing list or
> > something that 2.2.7a fixes this problem explicitly, please let us
> > know.  If this is something that upgrading to 2.2.7a will fix, then I
> > would be happy to do it.
>
> How about:
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.2.7a.html

That's a good one.  =)

Thanks, Bob.  I'll see what I can come up with for a bugfix release in
the near future.  I can't promise it this week, but it will get done.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx -source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"