> From: "Bob Puff@NLE" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:31:41 -0500
> Subject: [expert] Re: Samba 2.2.7a packages
>
>> Anyways, does 2.2.7a fix this 2GB file limit problem?  How long has
>> this problem been around (this is the first I've heard of it, but I'm
>> not a samba user).
>
> It most certainly does.  I posted something here, didn't get any replies, so
> I went to the Samba list, where the issue was discussed hot and heavy!  The
> 2.2.7A definitely fixed the 2gb limit problem, although apparently smbmount
> still has the bug, last I heard (this may now be fixed - it's been a while
> now since I've been off the samba list).

It most certainly doesn't fix all the 2GB issues, it does fix the smbd
issue, but there are problems with smbclient and smbtar. I have packages
with patches to fix those two, and a 3rd patch to add referral support
for LDAP. However, I won't be releasing RPMS for the samba ftp mirrors
until the creation of machine accounts is fixed.

How we normally work on samba is as follows:

1)new verion into cooker
2)packages on my site and Sylvestre's for stable releases
3)when those have been tested decently, they get submitted to samba ftp
4)If updates are needed, we then submit to Vince if we haven't had any
problems, and Vince does QA, then the packages go out.

We are currently at about 2) for 2.2.7a, with some bugs to fix that were
found on my production servers ...

>> It's also unfair to be sitting around and yelling  "Hey Mandrake when
>> are you going to fix this bug that no one reported?".  Is there a
>> bugzilla entry for this?  I am assuming that if this was a legitimate
>> problem that needed to be addressed in updates, and the bug had been
>> reported to someone here, that it would have been forwarded to myself.
>> This hasn't happened so I can only assume one of two things:  It was
>> reported, but not acted on, or it wasn't reported.
>
> I reported it here on this list.  If there is another place to do so, please
> let me know.  I had hoped that since there was a 2.2.7a rpm in cooker that
> someone knew about it, and a fix was in the works.

Cooker isn't a bad place, but you could also look in the changelog to
see who maintains the samba packages and ask ...

>> as i understood it, the 2 gig limit wasa fat problem, not a Samba problem,
>> If this is the case, then an upgrade wouldn't fix the problem, right?

No, this specific one was an smbd bug introduced in 2.2.7.

> If you're running on an old file system that has a 2gb limit, of course there
> will be a problem.  But ext3 works nicely past 2gb.

Doesn't help if a variable is truncated somewhere in smbd and the file
wraps.

> I ended up finding an (older now) cooker rpm that works with 9.0.  First
> though, I tried building from source.  This failed, while it worked fine on a
> 7.1 mandrake machine.  I didn't dig too far to see why it failed.

I would like to hear any issues of rebuilding the srpm on an Mandrake
machine. I build on 8.0 through to cooker (except 8.1, lost my 8.1 build
box).

I announce on the samba lists, and hardly ever get any response from
anyone ...

>> If someone has some reference on the samba site or mailing list or
>> something that 2.2.7a fixes this problem explicitly, please let us
>> know.  If this is something that upgrading to 2.2.7a will fix, then I
>> would be happy to do it.
>
> How about:
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.2.7a.html
>
> Bob

FYI:

This should fix the biggest issues.

http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake9.0/samba-2.2.7a/
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake8.2/samba-2.2.7a/
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/mandrake8.0/samba-2.2.7a/

My main samba page is supposed to be
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba
but check the page for the distro you run, linked from
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/

Also check Sylvestre's page:

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~staburet/samba

Regards,