Here's the base description of fam and a url to locate more info:
*** Begin RPM Information Summary on fam ***
Name        : fam                          Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.6.7                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 5mdk                          Build Date: Thu 28 Feb 2002
07:12:23 AM CST
Install date: Mon 17 Jun 2002 07:03:52 PM CDT      Build Host:
bi.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : Monitoring                    Source RPM: fam-2.6.7-5mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 157889                           License: GPL/LGPL
Packager    : Mandrake Linux Team <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com>
URL         : http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/
Summary     : Fam, the File Alteration Monitor
Description :
fam, the File Alteration Monitor, provides a daemon and an API which
applications can use to be notified when specific files or directories
are changed.
*** End RPM Information Summary on fam ***

You may want to look at http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam .

For portmap, unless you are running either NFS or NIS, you do not need to
be running it.  For a desktop, you certainly don't want to be running it
unless absolutely necessary (or unless you have a firewall which blocks
people from getting in).  Below, you'll find the description for portmap:

*** Begin RPM Information Summary on portmap ***
Name        : portmap                      Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 4.0                               Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 18mdk                         Build Date: Sat 23 Feb 2002
04:50:02 AM CST
Install date: Mon 17 Jun 2002 07:00:41 PM CDT      Build Host:
bi.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : System/Servers                Source RPM:
portmap-4.0-18mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 50376                            License: BSD
Packager    : Mandrake Linux Team <http://www.mandrakeexpert.com>
Summary     : A program which manages RPC connections
Description :
The portmapper program is a security tool which prevents theft of NIS
(YP), NFS and other sensitive information via the portmapper.  A
portmapper manages RPC connections, which are used by protocols like
NFS and NIS.

The portmap package should be installed on any machine which acts as
a server for protocols using RPC.
*** End RPM Information Summary on portmap ***

For xinetd, unless you are planning on using any of the services that are
started from there (such as telnet server, ftp servers, and so forth), you
don't need to be running it.  On my firewall, I've turned it completely
off, since I can get to it just fine via ssh.

*** Begin RPM Information Summary on portmap ***

Name        : xinetd                       Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.3.7                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 1.1mdk                        Build Date: Wed 21 Aug 2002
06:02:05 PM CDT
Install date: Sun 06 Oct 2002 01:09:16 PM CDT      Build Host:
updates.mandrakesoft.com
Group       : System/Base                   Source RPM:
xinetd-2.3.7-1.1mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 220358                           License: BSD
Packager    : Linux-Mandrake Security Team <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
URL         : http://www.xinetd.org
Summary     : Xinetd is a powerful replacement for inetd.
Description :
xinetd is a powerful replacement for inetd.
xinetd has access control machanisms, extensive logging capabilities,
the ability to make services available based on time, and can place
limits on the number of servers that can be started, among other things.

xinetd has the ability to redirect TCP streams to a remote host and
port. This is useful for those of that use ip masquerading, or NAT,
and want to be able to reach your internal hosts.

xinetd also has the ability to bind specific services to specific
interfaces. This is useful when you want to make services available
for your internal network, but not the rest of the world.  Or to have
a different service running on the same port, but different interfaces.
*** End RPM Information Summary on portmap ***

(By the way, you can get this info by doing an rpm -qi <packagename> from
the command line.)

Michael

--
Michael Viron