Don't know a lot on these (Portmap and Fam) mainly because I don't use
gone.  So since I don't use them... In fact On my box I turn them off
(there are a couple of gnome apps I access like evolution and gedit) So
what I did was chkconfig --level 2345 fam off

Now quanta kdbg and gnome-vfs seem to depend on lib fam on this box.
(last two came in the dependency chain for evolution, first one I
haven't used yet.) As for portmap I did the same thing as with fam...
Gnome stuff depends on it but I just turn it off as a running daemon.
(There are some network apps that might use it depends on your install
most importantly fam uses it.)

Like I said though I've not had any problems turning them off as far as
daemon mode goes.  Since I don't use gnome...

As for xinetd... sure it's ok not to use it .... as long as you don't
need any of the services it provides access to.  Many of them shouldn't
be run as a daemon ever and some of them, if you don't have them, fun
stuff might not work right... (like cups.).

James