On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

> On Wednesday 22 January 2003 21:06, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:
> > Check out this link, detailing why Houston, TX sh*tcanned Microsoft.
> >
> > http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-01-21-simdesk-cover_x.htm
>
> Hey, didn't any of you yanks tell 'm about linux and openoffice.org?
>
> What a mess, sounds more like a scam to me.

I took a look at the SimDesk homepage. There's very little information
about the products -- not even any decent screenshots -- so it does seem
a little fishy. Among other things, SimDesk is Internet based and these
things tend not to function so well without Internet connectivity;
low-income households tend to have no/slow Internet feeds. The packages
seem woefully underfeatured judging by the website and comments in the
article. For MSOffice replacement it makes even less sense because some
major infrastructure changes are required.

In any case, it looks like Linux, or at least OpenOffice, would be a perfect
solution to their problems. OpenOffice can be deployed for zero software
costs and minimal administration costs (distribute CDs, have existing
technicians install the software on existing platforms whether Windows,
Macintosh, Solaris or Linux). For low-income households, sending
vouchers for pickup of refurbished PCs with Linux/OpenOffice would do
far more to lessen the Digital Divide than a blanket distribution of
software that few can use. For libraries, use the LTSP or standard image
machines to allow access to a word processor, Internet, and email.