On Wednesday 22 January 2003 22:07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, H.J.Bathoorn wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 January 2003 21:06, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:
> > > Check out this link, detailing why Houston, TX sh*tcanned Microsoft.
> > >
> > > http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-01-21-simdesk-cover_x.htm
> >
> > Hey, didn't any of you yanks tell 'm about linux and openoffice.org?
> >
> > What a mess, sounds more like a scam to me.
>
> I took a look at the SimDesk homepage. There's very little information
> about the products -- not even any decent screenshots -- so it does seem
> a little fishy. Among other things, SimDesk is Internet based and these
> things tend not to function so well without Internet connectivity;
> low-income households tend to have no/slow Internet feeds. The packages
> seem woefully underfeatured judging by the website and comments in the
> article. For MSOffice replacement it makes even less sense because some
> major infrastructure changes are required.
>
> In any case, it looks like Linux, or at least OpenOffice, would be a
> perfect solution to their problems. OpenOffice can be deployed for zero
> software costs and minimal administration costs (distribute CDs, have
> existing technicians install the software on existing platforms whether
> Windows, Macintosh, Solaris or Linux). For low-income households, sending
> vouchers for pickup of refurbished PCs with Linux/OpenOffice would do
> far more to lessen the Digital Divide than a blanket distribution of
> software that few can use. For libraries, use the LTSP or standard image
> machines to allow access to a word processor, Internet, and email.

Exactly my thoughts=:o)

I was worried I might be getting a little paranoid about the 'evil empire' and
that this might just be a lot of show.
Demonstrating that 1) They are absolutely the best and 2) they aren't
monopolists.
This is like the Lindows story....if they hadn't already been there M$
would've invented them.

Besides there was no mention whatsoever on the OS this SimDesk should be
running on......so maybe it's something like a www re-do of 'geoworks' that
ran on DOS a few years (time flies!) ago.

Good luck,
HarM