On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 15:55 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:

> >(1280x1024 generic flatscreen) and claimed I had a GeForce2 card. I
> >changed that to Generic GeForce4 and marked XFree 4.x.x. The installer
> >showed an error and claimed that some files in /mnt/usr/... were
> >missing. Only part of this message were on the blue square in the
> >middle of the screen.
>
> as for config-ing the the display its been my experience to not do
> configure for anything as fancy as your Gforce card and wait till the
> system restarts after the install and then do your display config. ( its
> all part of the excitement and discovery of the beta version. )

> the important part here being to obtain a working X configuration so's
> you can see what you're doing when the thing restarts.

No X configuration. I guess you mean "a working configuration so's you
can see what...." and start X-configuration lateron.

> The way I got around this was to allow it to install LILO to it's normal
> place, when the system comes back up it will load your new beta version
> of Mandrake. Log in and then make a boot disk the old fashioned way:
>
>       mkbootdisk
>
> This way I now had a boot disk for the beta system. That taken care of I
> simply put CD#1 of Mandrake 9.0 into the CDROM and recovered the
> production version of Mandrake.

I thought about that but was to much of a coward to risk my working
installation. I would have missed all that monster thread in the
expert list! :^)

Thanks for the reply.

wobo