Wolfgang Bornath wrote:
Hi,

after having started one of the longest running OT thread of this list
(by numbers of postings) I'd like to turn to a not so important but
more OnTopic issue - my unability to install 9.1Beta2.

Downloaded both ISOs, checked the md5sums, burned the CDs, again
checked the md5sums, done.

Booted, pressed F1 and at the prompt chose 'expert'.

Installer went without fault (except no way to get my mouse wheel
going) to the package selection. To get to the Individual Package
Selection I had to unmark and mark again the radio button for this
feature.
Hi wobo..

as far as your wheeled mouse thats likely the easiest part. just go with the generic two button, or generic wheel mouse.

Bad surprise: As in Beta1 the blue field on the screen was not large
enough to show the buttons to commence after selection. I tried
several times to get to the button by pressing TAB. All I got was a
freeze where the reset button was the only way out. BTW: the popup to
show dependencies during selection was not showing but the text was
(unreadable) squashed somewhere at the top of the blue field.
as you've noticed you're not going to be able to do individual package selection. I had to cruise past this part as you've done and allow it to install what its going to.

Next attempt I skipped the individual package selection to get at
least something installed. I chose Office Workstation, Internet
Client, Development, Graphical Workstation (unmarking Gnome because I
wanted only KDE). Installation started and - in between changed to
disc #2 - went to the end without error.

Then it started post-installation configuration and asked for Disc #1.
I inserted it, waited a moment to let the disc be read in then hit OK.
The installer searched the disc, ejected it and asked for Disc #1. I
did that several times, even changing to Disc 2 in case it really
meant #2 instead of #1. No go. I had to hit Cancel. Then I got the
:) this sounds familiar. did the same thing to me so I skipped this part as well. it didn't appear to be a problem since the installation runs just fine.

listing of devices and realized there was no network installed. I
clicked on that and did the network configuration. That was ok.
Then I hit the bar with the X configuration. It asked for my monitor
(1280x1024 generic flatscreen) and claimed I had a GeForce2 card. I
changed that to Generic GeForce4 and marked XFree 4.x.x. The installer
showed an error and claimed that some files in /mnt/usr/... were
missing. Only part of this message were on the blue square in the
middle of the screen.
as for config-ing the the display its been my experience to not do configure for anything as fancy as your Gforce card and wait till the system restarts after the install and then do your display config. ( its all part of the excitement and discovery of the beta version. )

the important part here being to obtain a working X configuration so's you can see what you're doing when the thing restarts.

I commenced without X and that was it. No option to create a bootdisk.
I forgot: there was an option to install LILO but I passed it because
it did not give me the option to have it on a bootdisk.
The way I got around this was to allow it to install LILO to it's normal place, when the system comes back up it will load your new beta version of Mandrake. Log in and then make a boot disk the old fashioned way:

mkbootdisk

This way I now had a boot disk for the beta system. That taken care of I simply put CD#1 of Mandrake 9.0 into the CDROM and recovered the previous installation of LILO so I was able to get back into my production version of Mandrake.

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996