Todd Lyons wrote:

Ron Stodden wrote on Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 09:12:59PM +1100 :

Todd Lyons wrote:

Not quite.  See the prompt above?  It had already exited.  The messages
you see afterward are from kdeinit killing itself and its child
processes off.  Do it again and instead of hitting Ctrl-C at this point,
press Enter and you'll get a prompt as well

But why? Surely a completing program should make the OS give a prompt? 9.0 doesn't!

It already did.  :)  All the lines that start with kdeinit are stderr
output from a program that's shutting down.  You already have a prompt
at this point.  You could just start typing your command.  Even though
the cursor is not at the [user@machinename dir] prompt, the shell still
thinks it's there because it ignores stderr from running programs.

[...]
Blue skies...			todd
I have seen how the shell handles this but the shell doesn't have my eyes, nor my brain, I daresay :) IOW, it can be less than ergonomic to start typing a fresh command at the return of the prompt, have these stderr messages suddenly inserted, try to make sense of what I have typed and what to type next, perhaps try to resume, then, often, have a second barrage of stderr messages edited into my attempt. Is there not some way in the program's code to exclude these messages from the terminal, once the prompt has been returned, so as not to make continuing at the command line so optometrically/psychically challenging?

Rolf