Brian Schroeder wrote:
From: Luca Olivetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
You just scared me to death.
I had no problem reding the tapes to restore some files from time to
time
(when a user deleted them by mistake), but I guess murphy's law applies

here: in case of disaster the tape won't be readable :-(

Absolutely!  That's the one thing you can be sure of.  The tape always
works, until the disaster.  But the one time you realy need it, no go.
It has happened to me too.

Brian

A very old saying that got drilled into me when I first started in this business:

"Computing experience is measured in the amount of data lost"

Truer words were never spoken..
We've all lost data due to a broken backup system.

Personally, I still find permanantly writing data to a CD-R 700MB at a time unacceptable. If the data is changing daily, you'll very quickly have a cabinet full of usless CDs.
CD-RWs are just not reliable, and still do not have the capacity to provide an adequate backup.
If I have a server with a T-byte if data on it, I'm ceretainly not going to try to back it up 700MB at a time to CDs.

I HAVE to depend on tapes. There's just nothing else out there with the necessary capacity.

Ric