On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 00:48, James Sparenberg wrote:
> > I use and recommend to those who ask for an honest opinion the Linus
> > Torvalds backup strategy: "Real men upload their important data to FTP
> > servers and let the world download it." That doesn't mean to upload your
> > corporate database, but it does mean to replicate the data to other
> > locations and use hard disks.
>
> Want some bad hdd's!  got about 60 gigs of them here.  Smallest is 200mb
> (been helping friend re-archive is life the last 3 weeks.)..... It comes
> down to an old telco procedure. Check the primary every day and the
> secondary twice as often.

I bet I could trump that if I ever cleaned out my tools-n-junk closet
:-)

the point is of course that no one expects the hard disk to be reliable,
unless and until they spend a few million on the kind of gear that makes
a disk failure or 40 the kind of thing that one worries about in spare
time. It's just extremely common to see that the database is restored
not from the tape system, but from the rsync'd copy of an export sitting
on the DBA or sysadmin's laptop.

I also realize that if you've got 3TB to backup as opposed to 3GB, it's
a whole different ballgame. The realistic options are asymmetric network
synchronization and tape, and tape is far and away the price/performance
leader. You do know the fastest data transport system on the planet,
right? It's a courier carrying large storage media, Netflix being the
most popular example.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...