On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 21:03, David McGlone wrote:

> On Saturday 22 February 2003 08:48 pm, Joeb wrote:
> > I believe there is already an errata on 9.1 RC1 that states printer
> > installation during the install is broke and.  If I recall, they
> > recommend having the printer turned off during the install and
> > afterwards installing it manually.  It's supposed to be fixed for RC2.
>
> Sigh, this is what I did and it still crashed, on top of that the errata
> states: "start printerdrake (available from Mandrake Control Center)
> afterwards to get them configured. "
>
> Well printerdrake *IS* broken too! it sits there forever and ever blinking the
> printer icon, but never starts.
>
> with 9.0 I was struggling with my Scanner, and I knew kernel =>2.4.21 would
> get my scanner running, and it did, but now I'm struggling with my printer.
> - --
> David M.

I followed instructions as well, but to no avail.  Printerdrake comes up
(system is synced with cooker as of Friday evening, 12:00 EST) ok, and
everything is looking like it's configured correctly.  But when you try
to do a test print, the printer sits there and looks at you.  When I
boot 8.2, there are no printing problems.  This is how the system
detected the parport according to dmesg:

parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP,TRISTATE,EPP]
parport0: faking semi-colon
parport0: Printer, HEWLETT-PACKARD DESKJET 720C
parport_pc: Via 686A parallel port: io=0x378
lp0: using parport0 (polling).

Once before, when the parallel port was configured for "normal"
operation in the bios, dmesg was telling me that the printer port's irq
was mangled, or something like that.  I then set it for EPP, and then
that error seems to have vanished.  Kinda strange that the kernel can't
deal with a "normal" parallel port tho.

Another wierdism is when I hit the mouse configuration icon under
drakconf. the pulsating mouse comes up, and then it goes back to the
previous screen, with nothing happening.  This is with a Logitech
Mouseman+.  Yes, I have a bugzilla account and I plan on using it.

One more thing for the edification of all.  The foomatic packages did
not install during setup.  Is this significant?

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.21pre4-6mdk       Mandrake 9.1 RC1