On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 02:08, James Sparenberg wrote:

> > Once before, when the parallel port was configured for "normal"
> > operation in the bios, dmesg was telling me that the printer port's irq
> > was mangled, or something like that.  I then set it for EPP, and then
> > that error seems to have vanished.  Kinda strange that the kernel can't
> > deal with a "normal" parallel port tho.
>
> It could... IF the port was a normal one... EPP and normal are very
> different creators. If your parallel port is EPP and you list it as
> normal... it just flat won't work.  Even BIOS will complain.

I don't quite understand what you are getting at, here.  First, it is
the bios that decides what mode the parport chipset is in; be it normal
or EPP.  Second, there is autodetection going on by the kernel, so I
haven't "listed" it as anything...

I think that you are referring to a parallel port addon board, while I
am referring to an integrated parport on the mobo.  This might explain
the differences in our mindset, since the mobo bios does not control
what an addon board does, other than recognizing it as using resources
endemic to it's environment.

> > Another wierdism is when I hit the mouse configuration icon under
> > drakconf. the pulsating mouse comes up, and then it goes back to the
> > previous screen, with nothing happening.  This is with a Logitech
> > Mouseman+.  Yes, I have a bugzilla account and I plan on using it.
> >
> > One more thing for the edification of all.  The foomatic packages did
> > not install during setup.  Is this significant?
>
> Not that significant.  Depends on if they are needed.

That is a forgone conclusion.  The point that I was making was that the
foomatic packages are involved with the printing system, and I question
their absence.  At one time when I had beta 3 installed, drakconf
complained that the foomatic package was not installed, but then didn't
bother to install it, as the drake stuff usually does when it sees a
package that *should* be there.

So again; I continue to ask what is the deal on this.

LX

Kernel  2.4.21pre4-6mdk       Mandrake 9.1 RC1
Enlightenment 0.16.5-12mdk    Evolution 1.2.2-1mdk