On Tuesday 25 February 2003 07:17 am, flacycads wrote:
> This is a good example of the wisdom of having a separate /home partition.
> Rescues, and if need be, reinstalls are then essentially painless. I've
> forgotten exacly how 8.1 cd1 installs, but did you try booting from a linux
> floppy boot disk, and trying to run lilo lilo? Perhaps that might work.
>
> However, defrag is still an essential part of the windows experience- there
> is no getting around it, and the improvement is more than marginal for
> severely fragged drives. I must have defragged window thousands of times
> over the years, and never had any problems whatsoever, so the risk is
> virtually non-existent. I'm still not convinced Linux doesn't need
> defragging also, and I've done a lot of reading on the subject.
>
> Robert Crawford

having a separate home partition is wise

having an little used separate partition increases the odds of recovering at
least that partition when hard disks fail mechanically

leaving some unpartitioned space gives you wiggle room when you decide you
need to modify partitions

supporting thousands of users is much more peaceful if they never defrag and
never scandisk

more memory and fewer tsrs and services is almost always a far better route to
performance

jim tarvid