On Tuesday 25 February 2003 07:17 am, flacycads wrote:
> This is a good example of the wisdom of having a separate /home partition.
> Rescues, and if need be, reinstalls are then essentially painless. I've
> forgotten exacly how 8.1 cd1 installs, but did you try booting from a linux
> floppy boot disk, and trying to run lilo lilo? Perhaps that might work.
>
> However, defrag is still an essential part of the windows experience- there
> is no getting around it, and the improvement is more than marginal for
> severely fragged drives. I must have defragged window thousands of times
> over the years, and never had any problems whatsoever, so the risk is
> virtually non-existent. I'm still not convinced Linux doesn't need
> defragging also, and I've done a lot of reading on the subject.
some of the problem may be that it is winME and WINME does not play fair with
third party defrag utilities unless they were made for winME. if you upgrade
from WIN98 to WinMe and have defrag utilities from other than MS, they will
eat the end of your hard drive as well as some DLLs.
but the replace winME with 2000 ....well ok...