> Reiserfs should never be defragged--the elaborate tree structure it sets up is

I once heard that fragmentation is impossible in reiserfs.

It's safe to say that I'll never notice the effects of fragmentation
on Linux filesystems the way I would on a Windows system, given the
same amount of file creation/deletion on both systems.

> JFS is equipped with a defragger.  It would be the fastest of filesystems if
> you did not have to count in the time spent defragging.

On a 'well-tuned' system how much time would be spent defragging the
system? Having used DOS/windows and having run chkdsk and noticing
that files are separated into as many as 30-50 pieces, one is wont to
spend a lot of tiee defragging. I imagine some Windows users spend too
much time defragging their systems. And in the case of Windows, it's
not just the fragmentation that's the problem, it's the basic design
of the (V)FAT filesystem - which is to say almost no thought put into
it. :(

One of the first things that turned me onto Linux many years ago was
the perception that file operations were *so much* faster than in DOS
or Windows. Of course, there are many contributing factors, such as
more streamlined open() - for instance I noticed early on that much of
DOS's overhead in order to read from or write to a file was finding it
and opening it.

And compared to all that, reiserfs on linux seems like a RAM disk in
comparison with Windows systems :).

> XFS is very fast except when you massively delete files.  Want to hazard a
> guess why?

Journal entry deletion? Just a SWAG - I've not experimented with it.