On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 20:23, David E. Fox wrote:
> > I'll second that ... I've never gotten a Unix box of any flavor above 7%
> > fragmentation and most of that was log files. But as soon as logrotate
>
> Well, given that log files can be fairly large, that more or less
> makes sense, that there might be some fragmentation. But how would you
> measure it on modern systems? For instance I seem to recall a util for
> ext2fs that would tell you how fragmented a file or filesystem was and
> even some versions of 'mount' would tell you the fragmentation
> percentage of a given partition).
>
> Also because log files are loarge, isn't some of that fragmentation
> already "engrained" into the file because of indirect blocks and so
> forth? (Maybe true for ext2/ext3 - I don't know if even reiserfs or
> other newer filesystems use those) but for what it's worth, any file
> of large enough size is going to have extra blocks for pointers and
> such.

True enough on reiserfs (don't know on the others.)  But the numbers
were from memory on ext2

> > Civileme talking about some guy in Alaska who managed to hit some unreal
> > number like 90% fragmentation... but I don't know much more than that..
>
> That's pretty awesome :). But I agree that adding more RAM or having
> a faster disk is a good thing to do. I would think that adding RAM is
> going to make more of an impact over other upgrade paths.

Up to a point yes.

> > There might be a way to further optimize a file system, but this is
> > pretty much beyond the ken of what I know how to do.  For me.... Get a
>
> Well, there might be ways to do background reshufflings of files in
> the filesystem dynamically -- if based on usage (i.e., files accessed
> more recently or more often are the ones that the OS or filesystem
> pays more attention to). After all, if files aren't accessed all that
> often, why bother optimizing them at all?

I would have agreed hands down on the older slower discs, when the
difference between the inside and outside of the disk was so great.  But
these days I don't think I'd notice the difference.

James