On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 16:39, bascule wrote:
> hey tom,
> greg is referring to the practice of taking an install disk for an os or prog
> and also the subsequent updates for said os/prog and combining them so that
> one creates an install disk that installs the os/prog with the updates
> already applied, when service pack 1 for winxp came out there was a quite a
> bit of discussion (elsewhere of course!) on how to create a cd that would
> install winxp with the service pack already applied.  greg is looking to do
> the same thing with lm, imho it would make a great mini-howto as with a few
> cd-rws one could always have an uptodate version of lm to install on a
> machine that might not have a broadband connection, of course it's not that
> hard to keep a cd of all the updates that one downloads and install and then
> update from that but i like the elegance of a slipstreamed install :)
>
> bascule

I haven't played with the MDK installer only Anaconda by RH .... but it
provides a means where you need to mod only 1 file run genhdlist and
poof new CD... the problem so to speak comes in spanning multiple CD's.
Now the question as I see it is.. would a modified version of the
technique used to create Cooker CD's be the right way to go?  In the
past I had just burned off all of the rpms in update to CD then added it
to my media list for urpmi then did urpmi -media-name -auto
--auto-select  and let it run.  Prior to urpmi I'd do rpm -Fvh *.rpm
while in the directory on the disk.  The F of course only acts if the
rpm exists in its older form already installed.

James