John Haywood wrote:
I'm getting a little confused here, as far as I can see I have a couple of possibilities for getting an accellerated driver for XFree on MDK 9, and I'm wondering whether there is a point to pursuing one of these, or if it might be a feature of 9.1:

I tried the ATI driver, which has its own XFreeConfig-4 generator, and generates a completely useless file.

It looks like it tries to use a driver called "fglrx" for 3D acceleration, but then binds itself to 2 (in my case) PCI card addresses "1:0:0" and "1:0:1"

I attempted to munge this with the Mandrake stock config file which I used for my previous video card, and after commenting out the ATI-generated stuff, inserting the Driver "fglrx" into the "Device" section and leaving the PCI, stuff out, instead using "AGPMode" "true", I get X to boot, but it seems woefully slow, (about 200 - 220 in glxgears).

I see also that there are gatos drivers which might cover this card, but yet again, I'm at a loss as to which way forward here....

Just thinking about this, I wonder if the libGL.so.1.2 is playing nice, and does anyone have a clue as to how I determine which/whose version I've got installed

....... alternatively, of course, if anyone has upgraded to one of these cards (rather than a clean install), I'd really like to hear from you as to how you achieved all this

TIA

I don't know what your card is but it sounds like newer than mine (7200). There is documentation about that AGPMode option that says the value should be 1, 2, or 4. Although I don't think it will make much difference, you can see that here: http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/radeon.4.html You can also find some driver enhancement and details at that site wrt your card in 4.3. What I thought I noticed is that there is only, so far, 2d support for the newest Radeon (9500?) http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html#3 One more option might be a 3rd party commercial driver: http://www.xig.com/

Rolf