On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 12:18 pm, Rolf Pedersen wrote:
> John Haywood wrote:
[SNIP]
> >  It looks like it tries to use a driver called "fglrx" for 3D
> > acceleration, but then binds itself to 2 (in my case) PCI card addresses
> > "1:0:0" and "1:0:1"
> >
> >  I attempted to munge this with the Mandrake stock config file which I
> > used for my previous video card, and after commenting out the
> > ATI-generated stuff, inserting the Driver "fglrx" into the "Device"
> > section and leaving the PCI, stuff out, instead using "AGPMode" "true", I
> > get X to boot, but it seems woefully slow, (about 200 - 220 in glxgears).

> I don't know what your card is but it sounds like newer than mine
> (7200).  There is documentation about that AGPMode option that says the
> value should be 1, 2, or 4.  Although I don't think it will make much
> difference, you can see that here:
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/radeon.4.html  You can also find some
> driver enhancement and details at that site wrt your card in 4.3.  What
> I thought I noticed is that there is only, so far, 2d support for the
> newest Radeon (9500?) http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES2.html#3  One
> more option might be a 3rd party commercial driver:  http://www.xig.com/
>
> Rolf

Further to this, (and thanks for putting me on the right track)....

I changed the line in  my XFree Device section to read:

BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

from 1:0:1, as put in by the ATI post-rpm script (their own xconfig
basically). I'm guessing that the original refers to the digital output on my
card, whereas I'm using the old SVGA one. The card supports a dual-head
setup, so this may explain this.

Looking at my old card's config, "AGPMode" is set to "true", rather than 1, 2
or 4 which I'm guessing refer to AGP modes.

Anyway, the upshot is, I can startx, run glxgears at 2000fps, but after
exiting from X-windows or switching to another VT, I get an unreadable set of
snow columns- on which I can make out about 10 sets of prompts, and only
rebooting restores the console.

Any suggestions on this last annoyance? And ta for all your input so far
========================

Joan said also:
>> You haven't told us what Radeon you have, but the Ati's drivers are for
>> 8500
>> to 9700 cards.  The other Radeons are supported by DRI (afaik).

No, the latest drivers include the whole schemozzle, right back to the
original Radeon - it says so in the post install script of the rpm, and
detects fine in the XFree log

Just as soon as I get a fully working config, I'll post for others
--
 john in sydney
 Mandrake Linux 9.0, Kernel version: 2.4.19-24mdk