> Welcome to the hell of 9.0 on a laptop...  just for starters, I've removed
> shorewall and msec from mine.  Reliability is so bad (I don't have the HD
> space to install more than one distro, and won't install 9.0 on any other
> system I own or support) that I'm lucky to go a week without rebooting...
> see my "weird time/mouse bug" post last night for the latest (apmd changes
> the time & the time change kills mouse's drag functions -- resetting the
> time fixes the mouse -- go figre!!)  :^P

I used to get that with 8.2, but don't get it now.  Strange.

> That said, have you used suspend/resume?  That's the worst offender for
> me...  so bad that I just shutdown/reboot instead...  with suspend/resume,
> I lose sound, printer, and looking at a hard lockup within an hour or
> so...  hmm....  maybe due to the time change or anything UNrelated...

I use it all the time and have no problems that I am aware of. I have
been using apm - s with 8.2 (and got the can't drag problem) and have
been using it for a week or so with 9.0 and not had a problem until this
broken cups thing.

> Also, are you sure the printer is not working at all...  I had one problem
> that cleared up as mysteriously as it appeared...  printing would take
> several minutes to start -- cups was trying to access my LinkSys gateway,
> probably thinking it should act as a print server or somesuch...  Then,
> there were the cases where the only way to get the printer working again
> was to remove and re-create it...

if I do

service cups status

I am told that cups is stopped.  I do

service cups start and it tells me that it has started [ok] in the term
but /var/log/cups tells otherwise.

Hmm.....

--
Dave Whiting