I notice that you're not using compression. I seem to recall having seen a thread on the local LUG list about tar silently croaking in exactly this fashion when the output file reaches 2GB in size; I'll have a look at the archives and see if I can track down more detailed info for you, as there may have been a workaround mentioned (but maybe not, also).

-- Bill Mullen [EMAIL PROTECTED] MA, USA RLU #270075 MDK 8.1 & 9.0 "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." - Douglas Adams

Thanks for the feedback Bill, I chose not to use compression as it is a lot easer to restore individual files from a straight copy.

I did break up the copy into smaller parts, but can't see how the problem can be with tar, as it runs ok from the shell, but fails only from cron. :(

---------- "Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" -----