On Saturday 08 March 2003 04:29 am, Emerson de Mello wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A long time ago I used the Slackware, then I used tgz
> packages.
>
> When I knew the RPM was love the first sight, but now
> I see that it is not well what I waited.
>
> Some friends speak that apt is the best system of
> packages and for that they had spoken to me, it is
> really good.
>
> The Mandrake also could to have the APT  :)
>
> However, the important one would be that all
> distributions GNU adopted one same manager of
> packages.
>
> [ ]
> Emerson
> BRAZIL

> Busca Yahoo!
> O serviço de busca mais completo da Internet. O que você pensar o Yahoo!
> encontra. http://br.busca.yahoo.com/
Every system has its prices.

rpm updates to different systems (rpm3 vs rpm4) and using the older system may
break the newer, because more features were needed.  rpm is not perfect but
at least it is still changing.

APT is pricey in two ways--it is hard to make packages for an follow all the
rules (read "hard" to mean extremely time-consuming), and it's dpkg system is
not easy to change...  So far, no major changes have been needed, but how
long can that last?  Basically apt works so well because almost all dpkg
repositories are mirrors of one central one....

But with rpm4 you can use rpms made by Yahoo and they work out of the box on
Mandrake.  You can (usually) use RH-specific rpms without a problem except
perhaps unsatisifed dependencies or possibly conflicts with files supplied.
rpm stops you if you try to do that, at least at a warning level.

But if I want to make a dpkg and follow dpkg rules I have to examine EVERY
SINGLE FILE offered by all existing dpkgs and make sure none of mine
duplicate any of theirs in name or content.  If I decide for valid
engineering reasons to split one dpkg into two, I have a huge problem,
whereas with rpm that is not much of a difficulty at all, though setting up
the right update is tricky for rpm in that case(rpm has no built-in way to
handle it, while dpkg appears to have no means at all to handle such an
innovation).

I am of course open to learning more about apt-get/dpkg, but what little I did
learn, as a developer, really turned me off.

That is the other cost.  A fully regimented system for packaging means you
have to find developers who are willing to use it.  It is certainly possible
to supply apt-get/rpm-get as part of a distro, but changing the packaging
system of a distro is another matter entirely.

In other words, what packaging system a distro uses is a management decision
based on multiple cost factors which are not always readily apparent.

Civileme