James Sparenberg wrote:

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 10:56, Dave Laird wrote:

Good morning, David...

On Sunday 09 March 2003 10:23 am, David Relson wrote:

I discovered kdeartwork a while after posting my query.  It is now loaded
and I see a reasonable list of choices.  However, when it's time for the
screen saver to kick it all that happens is that the screen goes
black.  The screen returns to normal when I use the keyboard.

Perhaps the issue is the "Random" screen saver, which is what I like to
use. (Gnome has such a great selection of different screen savers). Using
google, I found some mentions of non-working KDE screensavers. Is that
still true? Are the ones for gnome compatible with kde?

It sounds suspiciously as if you still have Power Control turned on. If you
want to see the screen saver, in some cases, you must first make sure you
have that unchecked, because *it* will blank the screen, before the screen
saver kicks in, in some cases. Of course, your results may vary. 8-)

If Dave and Greg are right .... and they may well be.... try this go to
the screensaver page in kcontrol... they hit the test button... if the
screensaver works there.... then it could well be power saver.  If
not... it may be selecting the Blank Screen screensaver.

James

It still should work!!

Try to setup a smaller time for the screensaver to pop up than the time
you setup for power saving to begin. This will answer your question whether
this or that which starts first.

David, you also can select various screensavers and may be run them randomly
(I didn't experience that) by using "xscreensaver".

The "Random" screensaver you have originally in kcontrol is nothing but a black screen
which of course isn't power saving.

Mohand