On Tuesday 11 March 2003 08:45 pm, David E. Fox wrote:
> > du -xsh /*    Summary of the size of all dirs that are on "/"-partition
> > serach the biggest dir and then go to that dir and do the same.=20
>
> Hey - that's a very useful command. ;)
>
> It lists directories that could be located on their own file systems,
> though. Adding -x according to the man page for du suggests that
> it not count space mounted on other filesystems, But on my system
> /var is listed in that output, and /var is mounted on another
> partition.

Ummmm, it could be that at one time /var was part of / and later it was
mounted separately.  A typical example is when a power failure bonks the
partition where /var would be mounted, so the filesysatem check drops you
into a shell (with logs running and a /var being created on / to accept the
output)....  Now when the partition is mounted on /var, then the /var sitting
in / is not destroyed, just suppressed.  You could check the output you
mention against

du -xsh /var/*

Civileme

Civileme