On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 09:08, Tru64 User wrote:
> Hi TechnoSlick,
>
> Just last night I loaded Mandrake 9.0 on two Dells,
> one, an Inspiron 8100 which has a swap cd-rom/floppy
> and an Inspiron 2600.

The 8100 is definitely newer than mine. I am not sure about the 2600..

> With the OS at the 9.0 level and above....(even 8.2,
> my previous install was OK).it has become a total
> no-brainer to load this Mandrake. I did not have to do
> any extra tweaking.

So....did you have to go and find drivers for the Win LT modem, or did
Mandrake 9.0 set that up correctly from installation?

> Started with the cdrom from boot
> to completion of installation, and then rebooted
> cleanly. Then shutdown again, switch to floppy,
> reboot, (it harddrake2 or whatever it was will
> recgnize it immediately as a new device, and ask to
> configure it). After it comes all the way up, created
> a boot disk from the floppy drive for emergency
> times....although i trust more the same CD booting
> into rescue mode.....fulfils more that way, but a few
> gives and takes here and there.

I agree...better to have both methods.

Have you tried to see if you can hot-swap the floppy for the CD-ROM
drive, and vice versa? BTW, my CD-ROM drive is actually and CD-RW.

> What else? I have a 30GB drive. So i used partition
> magic (there are freewares out there i believe that
> can achieve the same, like "parted"

<snip>

> Guess i have given u enough info....feel free to ask
> for more.
> My configs...on Insipiron:: Graphics ...Nvidia Ge
> Force (and yes, 9.0 has its drivers included, I had to
> install them myself with 8.2)

I snipped the multi-boot stuff out as I will not need this. I have Win
2K on now, but want to abandon Windows altogether on the laptop. I have
a Win 98 workstation that can run what I still have to run in that
environment, and I have Win4Lin to run under MDK. Thanks for the advice
and links. I will save this for future use.

Real encouraging, Michael. As soon as I get the several Gigs of data off
my laptop and onto the server, I will wipe it clean, remove the drive
and pack it to ship back to Dell, then snap the new one in and install
9.0. I won't attempt 9.1 until it is released for public consumption.

Thanks so much for the speedy reply!

Technoslick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>