On Thu, 2003-03-20 at 08:57, Technoslick wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 23:19, James Sparenberg wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > Thanks James! I forgot to mention earlier that another of my concerns
> > > was the SMC EZ Card 10/100 Mbps PC Card, but I have since downloaded
> > > from SMC's site their Linux drivers, if I really need them.
> > >
> > > That pretty much covers my concerns. I will go through the site you have
> > > given me and see what's ahead of me before going at it.
> > >
> > > Thanks a bunch!

> > Shouldn't neeed the SMC drivers it's already in pcmcia for you.
> >
> > James
> >

> I wish that were the case. Install of MDK 9.0 choked on the card. SMC
> directed me to the latest pcmcia module source for compiling the needed
> module. I downloaded the source files, ran 'make config' and 'make all'
> OK. However, it told me that it couldn't find some needed libraries, or
> something at the end of 'make install'. I didn't write down the exact
> message, which was lengthy, but it appears that the process couldn't
> create initrd because of some inconsistency with the kernel and not
> finding files in certain directories. That's my take on this right now.
>
> I happen to have another 10/100 PC Card, D-Link DFE-650, which was found
> and configurable. Unfortunately, it went screwy and is why it was
> replaced with the new SMC model. At least Card Services are running
> properly.
>
> It looks like I some more research and testing to do. Thanks for the
> help.

I was looking at 9.1 when I sent that...

The two listings for the SMC card are

card "SMC EZ 10/100 Fast Ethernet"
  manfid 0x01bf, 0x2220
  bind "tulip"

card "SMC EZ 10/100 Fast Ethernet"
  manfid 0x01bf, 0x2225
  bind "tulip"

>From 9.1  As you can see the manfid changes but not the driver.  Adding
this to /etc/pcmcia/config if it is not present then doing
/etc/init.d/pcmcia may get you running.  (assuming that the above isn't
in 9.0's file)

James