On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 22:30, dfox wrote:
> Hi. I'm posting this on behalf of our worksite which has been inundated
> with lots of spam. At home of course I can install Spam Assassin and get
> rid of most of this stuff. But at work we are at the mercy of POP mail
> and Outlook on Windows machines.
>
> Of course I am trying to suggest Linux but I don't think this is a
> realistic alternative that management would be happy with. And we get
> our mail from a "foreign" server (sbc=pacbell) and we are (I think)
> dependent on their whims -- i.e., installing filters on the mail server
> isn't an option.

use fetchmail to pop the mail from SBC, then deliver to a local postfix.
Use postfix's tools to bounce via RBL if that floats your boat, or just
call spamassassin via /etc/procmailrc. Reconfigure your end users to
pop/imap off of that box rather than SBC. For extra credit, set up
SASL-authenticated SMTP relaying too :-) If you have so few users that
you're still reliant on SBC's "business" "services", you should be able
to support everyone better than presently with any $300 white-box
(http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m43.htm,
http://www.pricewatch.com/1/43/4072-1.htm).

Or you could buy the commercial windows version of SpamAssassin for all
of your desktops (http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/msk/) At $29 per desktop
plus tax (ignoring the huge hassle of configuring desktop-by-desktop
instead of on a single server), you'll break even at ten desktops.
--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...