Hi Anne,

regarding mobo's. I had set up a Mobo on the Shuttle-Box SV24, very small
case, but very noisy (That's why I decomissioned it). The installed mobo
was a Spacewalker - VIA Chipset, with builtin Graphic-Chip etc. (Sorry -
only German Link: http://www.shuttle.com/german/sv24.htm#oben ).

Shuttle had also own drivers for Graphic output etc. and X-Windows did
work without a problem. Everything worked like a charm. Don't think you
should have any problems. Of course - testing it out is the only garantee
you'll have.

Cheers

        Joerg

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Greg and Robert - hope you don't mind me answering both together.
>
> It's very difficult to find information on the web about the M787CLM, but
> there is a reasonable amount on the M787CLR - and I'm assuming that they are
> similar.  Little is said about the chipset, but the indications are that it
> is a via chipset.
>
> This proposed upgrade is not to make it my main box.  I have an old IBM/Cyrix
> 233 setup that I want to use as a second box, with dual boot win98 and Mdk 9.
> The main purpose is to learn about adding another linux computer to my lan,
> and also to explore video conferencing, over the lan, both in the mixed os
> environment and in an all-linux link.
>
> I accept that the speed of the C3 will not give the best video, but that's not
> important, as it is the learning process that's the important bit.  I can't
> justify spending a huge amount on this project.
>
> The mobo takes DIMMs, and I have a 126MB DIMM in the old system, so memory
> should be no problem.
>
> As it is low-powered it may not be essential to buy a new case, but I think it
> would be wise, though I have an atx power supply that could be mounted in the
> current one.  I can't see that anything else would be needed.
>
> The processor, though called a GigaPro, apparently equates to a celeron, which
> is ok for this box, I think.  3D work would tax it, but it would rarely be
> asked to do that.  It seems that this cpu is used a lot in the small embedded
> boards.  I have seen a report of a successful Debian install, so it looks
> likely that it would be OK for my purposes.
>
> There is not guarantee that I will be able to get one of these, as the guy was
> offering them at a local computer fair, and he may have sold out before I can
> find him again, but if I have heard nothing really offputting before then I
> shall buy one next time he is nearby - 2 weeks time.
>
> Anne
> On Sunday 30 Mar 2003 5:25 am, Robert Crawford wrote:
> > That mobo might not even have SDRAM, much less DDR. You will probably need
> > new ram, whatever you do- which isn't too bad, since it's dirt cheap these
> > days. You should be able to use everything else, except probably you'll
> > need a better power supply. You need to do more research as to the ram and
> > power supply you have, and post it so we can advise properly. Maybe post
> > the exact model of Cyrix/IBM you have now, and one of us can look it up and
> > offer better advice- just don't be hasty, and make a mistake. You can put
> > together a really good system, for very little money, if you know how. Any
> > better mobo/cpu is going to require a better power supply, if your present
> > system is what it sounds like. And, to get the best from any modern cpu,
> > you really need DDR memory- SDRAM is on the way out.
> >
> > In any case, Mandrake will install and run on almost any halfway system. I
> > would stay away from those via cpus, though.
> >
> > Robert Crawford

> [...]

| Joerg Mertin              :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (Home)|
| in Neuchâtel/Schweiz      :  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     (Work)|
| Stardust's LiNUX System   :                                          |
| PGP 2.6.3in Key on Demand :  Voice & Fax: +41(0)32 / 725 52 54       |
Home-Page: http://www.solsys.org