But if you name the file <something>.html.xls, for all the users know, they
are downloading Excel files..... :)

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Frankie [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 10:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [expert] open source spreadsheet file format.

yeah, I agree with all of that..

problem is the end user is not gonna understand downloadin the data as
html..

so I went looking at cpan and found this:
http://search.cpan.org/author/JMCNAMARA/Spreadsheet-WriteExcel-0.40/WriteExc
el.pm

it creates what is as close to standards compliant xls as possible..

so maybe that will have to do for now... csv is just missing to much... I
need basic formatting..

rgds

Franki