On Sat, 2003-04-05 at 09:14, Greg Meyer wrote:
> On Saturday 05 April 2003 11:51 am, richard bown wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > how do I log in as root from the standard X login on MDK9.1.
> > The users are iconised so there's now way of entering the user ar root
> > as you use to be able to on previous versions.
> > I need to set up xcdroast which has to be done as root..
> >
> It is a misnomer that one must log into the gui as root (which is very
> dangerous)

IMHO no more dangerous than an su.   Basically if you don't know what
you are doing everything is dangerous.  Dangerous is your 16 year old
asking for the car keys.  Dangerous is a religious fanatic with a plan.
Dangerous is a platoon of enemy soldiers and you only have one clip
left.  Running as root is reason for caution.  Not life threatening.

James