Update:

Apparently, the new may27 kdebase Texstar rpms worked out OK with kde 3.1.2,
as they have survived 3 reboots without any of the problems I described. What
I did was get the stock 3.1 Mandrake kde from the cds stable and configured.
Then I logged in to gnome, deleted /home.kde, and checked my
/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc file line-by-line against my backup kdmrc (they
were identical). Then I went to a root console, and to init 3, logged in as
root, and cd'd to the directory where all the updated Tex rpms were. I then
did:

rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm

Everything installed, this time withot the warning about creating a
/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc.rpmsave file, indicating the install wasn't
overwriting the kdmrc file.

So far, after three reboots, all is well, and nothing has reverted, causing
all the problems. I'm pretty sure I've finally got 3.1.2 working and
configured correctly now. Many thanks to Texstar for issuing the May27
updates! Apparently (fingers crossed), they have permanently done the trick!

Robert Crawford