RESEND: somebody please help, i cant be the only one who wants to add an
additional harddisk..

hello again :)

a) its connected to a motherboard connector
b) not a problem, harddisk is detected by cmos
c) settings are correct (been messing with computers all my life ;)

the entry in lilo.conf was like this:
append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off quiet"

i removed this "hdc=ide-scsi".
this had one effect, that during boot-up a message appears, telling me that
hdc was added. so far so good.
this dows not happen with lilo.conf in its original state.
the diealog asks me whether i wnat to run the config tool, okay.
then i have a listing of the partitions on hda, the partitions on hdb, but no
trace of hdc (even though it just announced to me that it had discovered the
same)
unfortunately it doesn't change anything on the situation afterwards.

in can see hdc in the "detected hardware" listing of mandrake control center
(even with "hdc=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf), but thats about it.
can't see it in diskdrake, can't open it with fdisk...

/dev/hdc simply doesn't exist.

thanks for your help!
greetings,
le stu