[Re-directed to the list, after replying to Rodrigo...]

IIRC, you should *always* use "rpm -i" (install) for kernel rpms, not -F
(freshen, i.e. update.)

Doing so could (will?) result in a non-bootable system (because update will
try to delete your current kernel and--even if it succeeds--the new one might
not work.)

I believe that the package naming is deliberately 'broken', so you can't do
this accidentally...

Once you've installed the new kernel, you should check /etc/lilo.conf ("man
lilo.conf" to learn more) and make sure it's right.  Then run "lilo"--this
can't hurt, and it will warn  you if anything is missing, etc.

Finally, I'll assume that this is your first kernel install, in which case:
"keep a rescue disk handy."

HTH,
-Jason

--

If it wasn't for the fun and money, I really don't know why I'd bother.