On Fri Jun 20, 2003 at 09:35:57AM +1000, Brian Parish wrote:

> > That's not a bug, that's a "feature" according to the kernel team.  =(
> >
> > It has always done this... this is nothing new.  It's been doing this since
> > the 8.x days if not earlier.
> >
> > I tried to get them to fix it but their feelings were it was doing things
> > properly and didn't need to be fixed.
> >
> > IOW, make that old entry yourself.  Please.
> >
> > http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/magic.php
> >
> > That explains all about it.
>
> That's an interesting way of responding to a bug!  Look at the obviously
> incorrect behavior and just call it correct.  Are you sure these guys
> don't work at the Whitehouse? ;-)

Well, trust me, I was not very pleased with the results of my queries.  Of
course, I don't have the time or skills to fix the installkernel script
myself.  If someone out there is feeling bored...  =)

> You're right though Vincent - it's been doing it over a number of
> releases.  You'll find a few posts from me in the archives on it.

Yup.  And it's always been a nuisance.

In my mind, the revisioned entry should be in there from the first
install... do the symlink bit, but throw in a 2421-13 entry as well (or
whatever).

But, when I mentioned that, I was told it looked too ugly.

Can't win for losing.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/