On Fri, 2003-06-20 at 14:49, Olaf Marzocchi wrote:

> >99% likely to be a hardware problem, temperature or insufficient power.
> >Install lm_sensors and see what it tells you.
>
> lm_sensors is good, but it has a problem (at least in my experience): it
> gives strange values and you have to "tune" them, but since it's the only
> app that reads temp, voltages and so on, you don't have a program to
> compare the results with.
> In windows is different: you have your mobo's software you can use to tune
> up apps like Motherboard Monitor.
>
> Someone in the past suggested to use the values from the BIOS, but
> unfortunately the processor temperature changes very much and the same for
> voltages (they change less :-)), so you can't have the exact value (you
> could guess, but you would achieve no more than 3 *C precision).
>
> Ideas?
> THX
> Olaf

I'd run a test program against memory (say overnight while you sleep.)
I've got a ram stick that will give you similar fun if you want it. It's
not bad when you "reset" it, say, by rebooting... but over time some of
the registers in the ram (not always the same one but one of the same
ones. "freeze"  One thing Linux doesn't do well is map around bad ram
sectors.  By product of cheap ram I guess no one is so broke they need
to write this stuff *grin*.

James