John Drouhard wrote:
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 09:27:43 -0700
dfox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Somebody scribbled about [expert] cooker installation

I decided I was going to get myself into some deep water and install
cooker. How should I go about doing this? At this very moment I am
mirroring a local copy of this:
ftp://sunsite.uio.no/pub/unix/Linux/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586

Been there, done that :)

If you are using fmirror or another tool (I used fmirror) it is pretty
easy to do a upgrade install with the hd image. Go to the images subdir
of your local copy and dd that file to a floppy. i was using urpmi to
auto update but i had part 9.0 part something else (system rebuild from
about 1 month ago) and found it worked much better to just upgrade that
way. you could also do an 'install' but you need to be careful not to
overwrite your medium (probably would have to move it to a partition that
mandrake won't touch). Once you install/upgrade you could probably begin
to resync with periodic urpmi.

Thank you, I will use the hd.img file. But do i need to resync the
entire cooker dir? (contrib, i586, SRC, PPC) or is the i586 dir enough?
And can I set a cron job to automatically resync my local mirror, then
run a urpmi.update -a and an urpmi --auto-select?

Thanks,

John Drouhard

Has anyone told you about the cooksync.pl script put together by one of the guys (Dave Wasler?) on the cooker list?  It is a script you can use for mirroring cooker to your local drive using rsync.

!!!!!!The best part about it is that when there are updated files on the cooker server the script will rename the ***local package*** to match the name of the ***newer  package*** allowing rsync to download the differences in the file instead of downloading a whole new file!!!!!

Say there is an update to kdebase on the cooker server.  Let's say it fixed a bug that was introduced in the last release.  The fix was on a few kilobytes.  You can use fget, rsync or fmirror to download the entire 18MB file, or you can rename the local file to match the name of the file on the server and rsync will download only the few kilobytes that are different.  As you can imagine this saves quite a bit of time and bandwidth.  This script does that.

If anyone wants it I can send you a version of the script that is already set up to use the ftp.sunet.se server and can be adapted to use any cooker mirror you like.  You can run diff against it and the original script to see that I have not included any harmful code.  You can download the original here:
http://luigiwalser.homeip.net:8080/~david/cooksync.pl

-You will need to specify your local directory by opening up the script in a text editor and changing "/home/brant" to your local directory.
-Then in that home directory you will need to create the directories cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS.

When the script is run it will mirror the RPMS directory of the cooker server to /home/[your_directory]/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS.

Set the cron job to fire off cooksync.pl, run urpmi off of the directory above and you're set.

Any questions let me know.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
				-Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)