On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 06:22, John Drouhard wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:11:49 -0400
> Brant Fitzsimmons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone told you about the cooksync.pl script put together by one of
> > the guys (Dave Wasler?) on the cooker list?  It is a script you can use
> > for mirroring cooker to your local drive using rsync.
> >
> > !!!!!!The best part about it is that when there are updated files on the
> > cooker server the script will rename the ***local package*** to match
> > the name of the ***newer  package*** allowing rsync to download the
> > differences in the file instead of downloading a whole new file!!!!!
> >
> > Say there is an update to kdebase on the cooker server.  Let's say it
> > fixed a bug that was introduced in the last release.  The fix was on a
> > few kilobytes.  You can use fget, rsync or fmirror to download the
> > entire 18MB file, or you can rename the local file to match the name of
> > the file on the server and rsync will download only the few kilobytes
> > that are different.  As you can imagine this saves quite a bit of time
> > and bandwidth.  This script does that.
> >
> > If anyone wants it I can send you a version of the script that is
> > already set up to use the ftp.sunet.se server and can be adapted to use
> > any cooker mirror you like.  You can run diff against it and the
> > original script to see that I have not included any harmful code.  You
> > can download the original here:
> > http://luigiwalser.homeip.net:8080/~david/cooksync.pl
> >
> > -You will need to specify your local directory by opening up the script
> > in a text editor and changing "/home/brant" to your local directory.
> > -Then in that home directory you will need to create the directories
> > cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS.
> >
> > When the script is run it will mirror the RPMS directory of the cooker
> > server to /home/[your_directory]/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS.
> >
> > Set the cron job to fire off cooksync.pl, run urpmi off of the directory
> > above and you're set.
> >
> > Any questions let me know.
> >

> Ya, I'm trying it out. It's really nice and easy to configure! Last
> night I was syncing the contribs directory, and this morning  I started
> it up again. But, you said that it automatically renamed files so that
> it could just download the differences. There were some updated packages
> this morning, and to my dismay it started to download the whole thing.
> No renaming or anything. It left the original one there and I assume it
> will delete it when it is done syncing. Thanks for your help!
>
> John Drouhard

That's odd.

In re-reading some posts by the author of the script it appears that it
will start to download the new files but you will see transfer speeds
like 18.84MB/s.  Obviously even with a really fast Cable Modem you can't
get speeds that fast.  In this case it is downloading only the changes.

--
Brant Fitzsimmons
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being
self-evident."
                                -Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)