Yes a Linksys does act as a basic firewall.
This also allows you to run a private subnet behind the Linksys and
all out going traffic will take on the address of the Linksys (NAT).
You can setup one machine to be in the DMZ (not blocked by the Linksys).
Linksys allows address 2-10 to port forwarding.

I am actually using a linksys at work to hide the machines in the
development lab from my checkpoint firewall.  The linksys will do
10/100 between ports and 10Mb to the outside.  For cable/dsl this is
just fine sine cable/dsl is not capable of even 10Mb.

Mike

mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]