Ok, I wanted to post a follow-up regarding the home-networking plans I
mentioned earlier.  Just to recap, I have cat-5 routed through my home,
going from each outlet (about 18) to the basement.  I was looking for
the best way to have them all accessible to the internet (via dsl/cable
modem).  Also I want to be able to just plug in my wireless access point
to any plug and have it work, and do the same with a network printer.

There is a company called Leviton that sells modular home networking
equipment.  For about $600, I can buy some supplies through them to hook
up my system in one central location in the basement. It looks pretty
sweet, and consists of:

2 White Steel boxes w/access panel (one for routers, etc. and a little
one for excess cable)
1 24-port ethernet/phone panel
1 4-port Internet Gateway
3 8-port Ethernet Switches
and 1 little shelf for my cable/dsl modem

I can also add on a surge protector and UPS.

Leviton has images of all their products online, here are pictures of
all the parts in order:

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/structuredmedia/smc420.asp
http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/structuredmedia/smc140.asp
http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/structuredmedia/24portsmp.asp
http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/structuredmedia/4PortInternetGateway.asp
http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/structuredmedia/ethernetswitches.asp

SO, my question is, is it worth it?  $600 doesn't seem so bad for all
this stuff.  I might be able to route my telephone and cable/satellite
through here, too.  (Though the jury is still out on that due to old
wiring.)  It seems like an elegant solution.

Am I better off just getting a really big switch and use a computer as a
gateway?

- Paul

--
Paul Rodriguez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>