On Thursday 26 Jun 2003 12:15 am, Joerg Mertin wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> first thing to do - is to not boot into X...
> So - The Failsafe Option is a first part.
> Just - at the Lilo prompt - give: init 3
> in - it should start the system without X.
>
> The Problem - is that you most probably need to start with an empty
> XF86Config-4 file - as the XFDrake programm takes the old one as
> template (It assumes - what you have in there works already ...)
>
> So - move that file to your Home-Directory, make sure there is no
> mode XF86Config-4 in /etc/X11, and start XFDrake again. It should
> do the trick.

Hi, Joerg,

It eventually dawned on me that I didn't even want to use the failsafe
from the lilo splash.  I hit esc, typed linux 3 and got a text login.
Logged in as root and ran XFdrake.  It started from the position of
the old monitor, but since it was a text only version of XFdrake that
didn't matter.  I navigated around until I found a suitable entry,
and voila!

However, in case I forget what to do, I've printed out your
instructions and will file them - my memory takes a lot of jogging
these days <g>

Thanks for the help

Anne