No this is not spam for a talk show.  :)  I'm trying to find out how to
spawn a process from a shell script that becomes an independent Parent
process not a child process.  Such so that if the Parent that spawns it
dies it doesn't die.  What I need is to have the parent process spawn
the new process, then complete itself and die.  While the child becomes
independent and continues it's life until it completes it's actions.

Basically what I've run into is versions of RPM on older (but still
commonly used) versions of Linux that have trouble closing correctly if
the rpm process runs to long.  In this case I have a rather long
automated installation that is hanging RPM.  So if I can spin off a new
child as a parent it will allow RPM to close faster and the parent can
die without killing the child or turning the parent into a Zombie.

(NOTE:  For all who may be looking over someones shoulder, or FBI agents
reading e-mail .... I'm not a terrorist, nor a pervert.. parent, child
and zombie in this case are technical terms.)

James