Yes, Sympa sucks... but... I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking
about on the other thing. These two are both upgrades from 9.0:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] jack]$ grep home /usr/share/msec/perm.3
/home/                                      root.root               755
/home/*                                     current                 711
[EMAIL PROTECTED] jack]$ grep home /usr/share/msec/perm.3
/home/                                      root.root               755
/home/*                                     current                 711

This one is a fresh install:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# grep home /usr/share/msec/perm.3
/home/                                      root.root               755
/home/*                                     current                 711

Oh, I see -- when ls'ing the home directory, it's clear that the default
umask was picked up at directory creation.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# grep umask /etc/profile
umask 022

So others can read files that are known to exist. Others cannot browse
into the directory and look for unknown files though.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...