On Mon Jun 30, 2003 at 12:46:00PM -0500, Praedor Atrebates wrote:

> > > For the first time I added a couple more users to my home system.  Up
> > > 'til now I was the only user.  I found that the default behavior/security
> > > (not) setting allowed all users to access all other user's home
> > > directories.  No limits!  What is this?!  That is the same as no security
> [...]
> > 1) Mandrake Control Center
> > 2) Security
> > 3) Security Permissions
> > 4) Choose "editable" from the drop down box
> > 5) Add /home/* with the permissions you want.
> >
> > Next time msec runs, it will reset the permissions on the /home/*
> > directories. And you won't need the higher security level (with
> > shorewall).
>
> Danka.  This nonetheless begs the question...why should this even be
> necessary?  By this I mean why should it be necessary to actively alter
> default settings so that all users don't have access to each other's home
> dirs?  I am not really faulting Mandrake here (unless their defaut settings
> and perms are more lenient  than other distro defaults.  To my thinking, the
> default should never be to permit even read access to another's home.
> There's no call for that unless some <idiot> user decides to give other
> people access to his/her home dir.  This accessibility should be a no-no by
> default regardless of distro.

This was done, IIRC, to allow people to have a ~/public_html/ directory and
allow apache to enter the home directory so as to read ~/public_html/ (which
would allow someone to do something like http://yoursite.com/~preador/).
That's pretty much the reasoning for it IIRC.  That being said, there is
nothing stopping you from doing a higher security level or modifying the
defaults.

I also believe that a user can enter another user's home dir but will get a
permission denied if they do an ls.  Other permissions protect the files in
the homedir.  The homedir should have execute-only perms.  But, taking a
quick look, it seems that is not the case.  Hmmmm.

That does kind of suck.  msec used to do execute-only perms on homedirs... I
wonder why it decided that read/execute perms was an ok thing to do.

I'll see if I can't find out.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/