On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Praedor Atrebates wrote:

> I see...but is it really a good idea to permit execute perms to any and
> sundry?  I used to think that if there were a linux virus/worm to be
> concerned about that the worst that could happen under normal
> circumstances is that a user who received and executed a viral script
> would possibly trash his own home and that's it.  Now I see that this is
> not accurate...ALL users could trash their homes by executing a bad
> script/executable in ANY infected user's home.  The default setup makes
> this possible...and most <new> users wont bother (or think to bother) to
> change home perms.

But "execute" permissions on a /directory/ only affect the ability of the
user/group-member/other to cd _into_ that directory - they have no bearing
on the executability of the *files* therein, which must have their execute
permissions set (for that level of user) in order to be runnable by them.

--
Bill Mullen   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   MA, USA   RLU #270075   MDK 8.1 & 9.0
The engineer is neither optimist nor pessimist. He sees the proverbial