On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 23:22, Robert Crawford wrote:
> James,
> I am using reiserfs on all partitions, but it doesn't seem to affect anything
> negatively so far. Where did you get that info- I don't recall ever reading
> anything like that before? If I'm doing something incorrectly, I'd sure like
> to correct it!

Just from experience.  AKA I've not been able to get my reiserfs
partitioned boxes to boot correctly without an initrd.img   It also
comes from reading a number of related threads in the cooker etc.
Things initrd.img does allow you to do is to mount those things that
don't have a way to be mounted until a kernel is booted. (pcmcia
ide-scsi usb etc etc.) a number of modern periperals on the pci bus also
seem to need this to start.  If you boot.  I'd say you aren't doing
anything wrong.  You boot it works.. it's not broken.  But if it doesn't
boot or things have trouble initializing ... this may be the reason.

James