Robert - I'm not in a hurry. I'm not a hardcore gamer. I like the
traditional ways of wasting time, like fortune - for me, fortune has
always been one of the main attractions of linux. My slackware
installation on my old box gives me a fortune every time I log on. With
MDK I have to run it. I need to work out which script I need to modify in
MDK in order to have fortune acknowledge my logging on. I also need to
find out how to get asterisks for passwords. In slackware it was explained
in a comment in some file or other. So little time - so much to do!

It turns out that hubs had the haptime virus! We had the means to deal
with it saved on his hard disk, due to a previous infection. Has anyone
else noticed this virus recently? I thought viruses were like teenage
fashion. I didn't think they stayed out there once their time had passed.
It gives new meaning to the term retrovirus! As the sergeant in Hill St
Blues used to say, "Be careful out there!" Now I'm wondering about my
secrity level, etc.

I seeem to remember a fortune re paranoia being simply a matter of looking
at life in terms of fine detail?

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 15:43:25 -0400
Robert Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 04 July 2003 22:40, kiosk wrote:
> > On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 02:06:19 -0400
> >
> > Robert Crawford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Janet,
> > > You might be able to find a new patch for one of the latest 2.4.xx
> > > kernels- I did  google searchs for "E7205 linux support" &  "Asus
> > > P4G8X kernel patch" and came up with some good leads- below are 2
> > > typical excerpts from one of the google results.
> > >
> > > You might also check first in your bios and be sure AGP is
> > > configured correctly, and perhaps setting it at 4x or even 2x-
> > > there's not much difference except in heavy gaming.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Robert Crawford
> >
> > Robert, thanks again for your efforts on my behalf. Before I mentioned
> > my AGP problem here I did Google for a solution and found the
> > reference you supply. However, I couldn't find a link to the patch
> > David Jones mentions and was reluctant to email an obviously busy man
> > for what seemed like a patch which had been included in later kernels.
> > I will look into your bios suggestion when time allows. At the moment,
> > my husband seems to have a virus on his Win98 installation [I
> > shouldn't laugh really, but you know how it goes ...] and I'm dealing
> > with that now while persuading him to go for the Linux alternative. He
> > suddenly seems quite keen! :)
> >

> > Many thanks
> >

> > Janet Blankfield
> >

> > "The ideal love affair is one conducted by post." JBS
> >

> Barring a miracle patch or solution out of the blue, I think you might
> have to wait a short while on the "real" fixes for that new chipset.
>
> Robert C.

Janet Blankfield

"The ideal love affair is one conducted by post." JBS

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ... life's a beach ...