On Sunday July 6 2003 11:37 am, dfox wrote:
> Somebody scribbled about Re: [expert] CDRW
>
> >    OK, thanks Ed, same mode supports as my old drive. I don't
> > want burnfree, but it can be disabled. I'm thinkin this old
> > drive has got to be replaced sooner or later ;)
>
> Is yours scsi? It might be worth keeping. but I think tese days
> that atapi is getting better and better. otoh, the newer drives
> can burn really really faxt :).

     It's an IDE burner, not SCSI. I'm not interested in burnin at
over 8x. Most of the time I burn at 4x.  Other than the quality
drives (Plextor and Yamaha), I just thought it might be a good idea
to investigate the cheap ones like Lite-On. Few things I need to
ask, are the Lite-On's made by Lite-On, or are they rebadged from
other manufacturers? Can the firmware be flashed from DOS, and are
updates available (or have been)?  I went to their site to look for
myself, but got an 'under construction' message.