James, I think MOTD is an excellent suggestion. I guess it would work
somewhat like a random sig generator, in that respect. I don't really need
to do it with X- I always boot to a text login. I would probably have
considered MOTD, if there were no one to ask. PITA that I am, I tend to
wonder if there is a MDK way for this type of thing.

Of course I now have the problem of understanding the LFS hint. I will get
there in the end and be a lot wiser, i'm sure. No help please. Unless I
come back begging :)

Also, I'm still wondering if anyone knows about showing asterisks for the
password. My daughter keeps asking why we can't have asterisks to show how
many characters have been typed. I quite like the asterisks too.

Sorry to have hijacked this thread, BTW. Hoping you-all will want to show
how knowledge of time present relates to time past ;-)

Respect!

Janet Blankfield - hoping she isn't trying to blend various distros into a
grey goo!

"The ideal love affair is one conducted by post." JBS

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
   ... life's a beach ...